Blue Obsidian is considered a rare stone but not hard to find as it is freely available. It is a naturally occurring rock, but several human-made glasses, slag glass, and processed volcanic glass circulate in the market. However, some are almost transparent versions of this stone. Regular Obsidian having a slightly bluish-green cast or a soft blue color are known as “Blue colored Obsidians.” It gets its color due to the impurities present in the glass.
Blue Obsidian birthstone meaning is one that is believed to hold reliable psychic protection. And is closely related to the spiritual world and may stimulate the gift of prophecy. The stone is found to open one’s ability to communicate and shield you from the negativity.
Where is it found
The significant deposits of the mineral are found in Pantelleria, Lipari, Palmarola, and Monte Arci.
It can be found in areas that have undergone rhyolitic eruptions in the past or present. It is found all around the world, such as in Greece, Guatemala, Iceland, Argentina. Armenia, Azerbaijan, Australia, Canada, Chile, El Salvador, Japan, Scotland, Turkey, Kenya, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua, New Guinea, Peru, and the United States.
Talking about the United States, it can be found mainly in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Idaho, and North Carolina.
Gemstone Family– Obsidian (Mineraloid)
Colour– Pale Blue
Chemical Composition– SiO2
Hardness on the Mohs scale– 5-6
- It stimulates and enhances communication and vocational skills when used at the throat chakra as it is associated with it.
- It is a soothing and calming stone.
- It aids divination, psychometric, and psychic development pursuits.
- It also provides intuitive knowledge when traveling and guides you to attain your dreams and also enhances creativity.
- Blue Obsidian provides robust protection from the flow of unwanted thoughts, emotions, and energies in our environment, which have origins in the negativity of other people with whom we come in contact day and night.
- It is a stone of personal protection and physical relaxation, truth-telling, and meditation.
- It is believed to be a stone that connects the one having it, to the elementals and nature-spirits who resides in the elevated regions of the Himalayan Mountains.
- It can assist and support treatment for stammering and also used to clear mental confusion.
- It helps in curing psychosis.
It can be used to treat ear, eye, nose, and throat disorders. It is also used to meditate by the yoga practitioners as it is famous for its soothing capabilities.
While thinking of this gemstone, people rarely think of jewelry, and what comes to their mind is the healing properties of the stone as it is excellent in accompanying a person to excel in life and overcome the fears. We have already seen the healing capacities it possesses in the previous section of this article.
It is a natural stone, but many fake stones are being sold in the market in the name of this gemstone, so one should be aware while getting these gemstones and knowing how to segregate the original ones from the fake stones is a must.