Obsidian in natural form is black. However, when certain impurities mix while it forms, then the color changes due to various chemicals or other mixing substances. Green Obsidian is one such Obsidian that contains impurities. These stones occur in the area of past or present volcanic activity, which include places such as Italy, Mexico, Scotland, USA, as well as the Cascade Volcanic Mountain range and its associated lava beds, which stretches from Northern California into Washington state.
You must be wondering what is special about this green colored Obsidian. So let us study various properties that the stone has and its benefits for humans in their healing.
Where does the green color come from?
Iron and other elements of transition often give a dark brownish to black color to the stone. Since most black obsidian contain magnetite, an iron oxide, and nano inclusions, the composition of Obsidian is exceptionally felsic. In the case of dark green colored Obsidian, the hue of the stone is caused by ranging amounts of Iron (Fe) and Magnesium (Mg). It can also be achieved due to the gas bubbles (vesicles) remaining in the lava flow during crystallization. The color of the stone varies depending on the amount of impurities.
Fracture: Conchoidal. Basalt glass may be splintery.
Hardness: 5; 6 for basalt glass
Crystallography: Amorphous; usually as rounded masses ejected in volcanic eruptions, as small broken pieces, fine, hairlike filaments (for example, Pele’s Hair), and as flows
Refractive Index: Approximately 1.48-1.51; usually 1.49
Birefringence: None, but crystals included in Obsidian may be birefringent
Luminescence Present: No
Polish Luster: Vitreous
Specific Gravity: 2.25-3.00. (Typically 2.33-2.42; 2.70-3.00 for basalt glass)
Transparency: Transparent to opaque
Phenomena: Iridescence, chatoyancy
Associated Crystals: Green moss agate and malachite
Candle Color: Green and white
Flowers & Plants: Primula, thistle, and tulip
Herbs – Incenses – Oils: Basil, fennel, mint, and parsley
- Green Obsidian is particularly useful to let you loose from those who try to pull you down or draw you into their crises.
- It provides an unlimited field of White Light, which helps you in healing others without needing to draw energy that is within you.
- It acts as a shield towards negativity and saves you from the emotional effects of pollution.
- This beautiful stone teaches the importance of self-love, tenderness, and nurturing.
- It helps rectify human errors and not repeat karma obstructing progress on one’s life path. It removes hurdles and makes way for growth and movement.
- It also promotes the wearer’s connection to the earth’s planes and nature, making him calm and serene and enjoy the peace that nature blesses us with.
Green Obsidian is beautiful, but it provides protection and broadens your thinking patterns so that you can progress in life on emotional and other spheres. Many people use it while meditating as the soothing touch helps them in concentrating